Brown Lentils and Collard Greens Soup
I made this soup few weeks ago as I experimented with these two ingredients: Brown Lentils and Collard Greens. I had tried both of them in separate recipes and my son enjoyed them all. This time I wanted to make something with both greens and lentils with a mild flavor that my son will enjoy as well. It made a great nutritious low calorie soup for us and since my son enjoyed it couple of days in a row (with rice and butter), I am happily tagging this recipe as ‘Toddler Friendly’.
1 red onion, onions
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 bay leaf
3 large cloves garlic
1 carrot, chopped
1 small zucchini , chopped
1 cup brown lentils
1.5 cups collard greens, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp salt / or to taste
A pinch of nutmeg powder
1-2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp clove powder
1. Heat oil in a large pot or a pressure cooker
2. Add bay leaf and garlic and fry for few seconds.
3. Add onions, fry on low for about 5 minutes.
4. Add carrots and zucchini and cook for few minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, cumin powder, salt, nutmeg, clove powder and turmeric powder and cook for couple of minutes.
6. Add brown lentils, collard greens and about 6 cups water and pressure cook for about 15 minutes.
7. If not using pressure cooker then cook for about 40-50 minutes on low-medium heat until brown lentils are cooked and vegetables are tender.
8. Adjust water and seasonings as per taste
9. Add lemon juice and oregano.
Serve hot! Its tastes great with toasted sourdough bread and makes a wholesome quick lunch – add some rice to the soup, lunch packed in less than 5 minutes
This entry was posted by soniaabrol on July 26, 2010 at 11:44 pm, and is filed under 400 calories or less, 500 calories or less, dinner, Healthy, Lentils, Lunch, soups, Uncategorized, vegetables, vegetarian. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Delicious Vegetarian Dessert Recipes | Healthy Vegan Foods
- 4 Weeks down and counting | Vegetarian diet Blog
- Tweets that mention Brown Lentils and Collard Greens Soup | Chef In Making — Topsy.com
- more soup | Cure cancer Info
- Ma Chole ki Dal (Slow Cooked Split Black lentils and Split Bengal Gram Curry)
- Low Calorie Summer Salad with Couscous and Peanuts
- Achari Baingan (Slow Cooked)
- Suji Kheer
- Basil Pesto and Tomato Sandwich
- Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (Eggless)
- Baked Turkey Seekh Kebabs
- Methi Malai Paneer
- Creamy Pesto Macaroni
- Toddler Approved Spaghetti with Collard Greens and Broccoli