Sukhi Urad Dal (Slow Cooked tempered dry lentils)
I finally bought a new slow cooker in October last year when my old rice cooker that had ‘slow cooking’ mode stopped working. It has been 10 months or so and I have been using it very regularly to prepare healthy dishes for my family. I love to cook but don’t find much time while maintaining my demanding job and trying to maximize time with my four year old. A slow cooker comes in very handy as I can throw in the ingredients before I leave for work (or to run errands) and come home in the evening to a hot and delicious dinner.
2 cups Urad Dal (preferably soaked for 2-3 hours)
2 cups water
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger paste
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp MDH Kitchen King masala OR (1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder)
1 tsp oil
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion
1 medium red or green bell pepper
pinch of Asafoetida powder
Fresh coriander leaves
1. Put all ingredients (except for tempering and garnishing) in a slow cooker (I used 6 qt).
2. Cook on low for 4 hours. Check after 3 hours if the water is absorbed and dal is tender per your taste. If you prefer it to be more done, let it cook on slow for another hour or so.
3. When it is almost done, for tempering, heat oil in a deep pan or a wok. Add Asafoetida powder and after couple of seconds add cumin seeds and saute for few more seconds.
4. Add onions, cook on low flame until slightly browned. Add peppers and cook for few more minutes. Add this to dal in the slow cooker
5. Serve hot with Roti or rice. It tastes best when garnished with lemon juice, fresh coriander leaves and some chopped onions
- Hearty Chicken Curry (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- Punjabi Chole (Chickpeas Curry)
- Ma Chole ki Dal (Slow Cooked Split Black lentils and Split Bengal Gram Curry)
- Achari Baingan (Slow Cooked)
- Methi Malai Paneer
- Creamy Pesto Macaroni
- Chana Biryani
- Mili-Juli Sabzi (Mixed Vegetable medley with chickpeas)
- Tortellini with roasted vegetables
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Reduced Fat)